Friday, January 30, 2009

Batteries...what happened to creative play??

Don't you just love how kids have a way of reminding you (as parents) that life gets too busy and everything runs like an energizer battery...never ending!? Konnor did this to me two days ago in the car. We ran into a store and I bought him this miniature wooden robot. He was having a blast with it in the store and car...the arms and legs move to different locations, the head turns all the way around. In the backseat of my car, I heard that the robot was dancing, then he was marching, running, etc...and then Konnor stops and asks me "where are the batteries?" I was taken by it and told him it didn't have any. Then I started to feel guilty wondering if my kid had too many "interactive toys" that have hit the stores these days. Yes, he has a TON of toys that are simple and enhance creativity (more than the "battery-filled" ones), but those "interactive" ones that he does have are his favorites sometimes. So what happened to giving kids a simple object and letting their imaginations run? What happened to those days when boxes and pots/pans did the trick? It definitely got my attention and I have been thinking about his question since the day it happened! While I think that toys that play music, talk, sing, move, etc are GREAT, I also think it's equally (if not more) important to have simplistic toys that stimulate their little minds. It's amazing what something as small as a fuzz can do (ever watched, "Horton Hears a Who")?? So as I am typing this, Konnor is on his laptop playing a little "mouse in the maze" game...wonder what we'll do when I close this laptop :)

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that more and more people are recognizing what you are now.(you'll have to check out my blog too) And I think more times than not, when kids are given more of the basic stuff that requires imagination instead of batteries, those are the toys they choose. Seems the things that have to have batteries lose their appeal because that's all they can do but with the others requiring imagination, the possiblities are endless. You would be surprised at the difference having a basic wooden kitchen set has on a kids' room vs a plastic one too. It's amazing the change in the children's behavior. It seems to effect the karma in the room, I swear! Ü

    ReplyDelete